OPEN CALL FOR ARTISTS:
Centering the Margin
Curated by: Anthony Ryan
Deadline for Submission: Tuesday, January 17, 2012
Exhibition Dates: March 7-24, 2012
Root Division invites artists working in all genres to submit work for an exhibition entitled Centering the Margin.
Centering the Margin is an artist-curated project focusing on artwork that concerns itself with spaces, events, and artifacts that exist just outside of our field of vision and attention. If our contemporary existence is marked by a focus on spectacle and constant stimulation, then Centering the Margin is a show that documents those things that fall outside this focus. These are things that require a change of speed or shift in focus to perceive them.
This show hopes to draw connections between artists concerned with margins, edges and interstitial spaces through diverse approaches and varied platforms of concept, representation and materials.
Works considered for the show could be:
- pictorial works that represent spaces and moments that are glimpsed fleetingly if at all
- process-based works that employ materials that exist solely as vessels for goods or products, or are artifacts of technologies of display and production
- time based works that document forces or phenomena that are barely perceptible or so common as to escape notice
Previously selected artists:
Michael J Ryan http://www.michaeljryan.com/MichaelJRyan.html
Michael Hall http://michaelhallpaintings.com/home.html
Sarah Newton http://www.sarahmnewton.com/
Anthony Ryan http://anthonydanielryan.com/home.html
Robin Johnston http://www.robin-johnston.com/
Devon Tsuno http://www.devontsuno.com/
Brian Caraway http://www.briancaraway.com
Checklist of application materials:
- 4 images (jpegs: 72 dpi, 600×800 pixels max) (Digital only please; Sorry, no slides) Video should be submitted as a still and as a link to a web-hosted video viewer AND/OR 3-minute video clip on CD/DVD for Mac
- Artist resume (1-2 pages max)
- Statement outlining the relevance of submitted work to curatorial topic (250 word max)
- SASE (for return of materials if desired)
- $10 check/money order made payable to Root Division, also by e-payment here: http://rootdivision.org/Call_Centering_the_Margin.html
3175 17th Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
ABOUT ROOT DIVISION:
Root Division is an arts and arts education non-profit located in the Mission District of San Francisco. Root Division’s mission is to improve appreciation and access to the visual arts by connecting personal inspiration and community participation. We provide subsidized studio space to working artists in exchange for their service in creating shared learning opportunities for the community. Artists develop creatively and professionally by teaching art to underserved youth, leading adult education classes, and producing exhibitions that showcase local emerging artwork. By combining multiple opportunities for creative exchange, Root Division cultivates an artistic ecosystem that enriches life throughout the Bay Area.
Root Division is supported in part by grants from Grants for the Arts: SF Hotel Tax Fund & Voluntary Arts Contribution Fund, The San Francisco Foundation, Walter & Elise Haas Fund, and the Potrero Nuevo Fund. The Second Saturday Exhibition Series is sponsored by the Phyllis C. Wattis Foundation, the San Francisco Arts Commission through a Cultural Equity Grant/Organizational Project Grant, the Fleishhacker Foundation, and the Zellerbach Family Foundation.
For further information regarding events and/or press materials, please do not hesitate to contact Amy Cancelmo at 415.863.7668 or email@example.com.